War on the Sea: Lessons learned
This topic contains 1 voice and has 0 replies.
March 22, 2021 at 6:40 pm #5899JesterParticipant
Definately not a pro at the game but here are some tips and lessons learned that may help you out in the campaign.
- As often as you can, send scout planes around the areas of your island.
- In a submarine encounter where you are the attacker
- Best results occur if you have more than one sub attacking (think wolfpack)
- Once you fire your torpedoes
- change course and depth and run silent. Don’t worry about reloads…the AI seems to know exactly where you are
- Click on the Retreat button. This will give you 180 seconds before you can exit. If the DDs find you, click exit. Otherwise, plan a second attack.
- In a submarine encounter where you are the defender
- Immediately change course with your capital ships and cruisers
- Break off your DDs from the group and send them in arcs ahead of your fleet.
- Look for disturbances on the water surface…these are incoming torpedoes!
- Send your DDs in the directions that the torpedoes came from
- Japanese subs will likely be 4000 – 5000 yds away from where you start.
- Keep one DD running slow to hear better when hunting subs
- DO NOT send troops directly to Guadalcanal at the start.
- Build up a staging base nearby and then proceed to land on Guadalcanal
- Keep an ongoing air patrol around Guadalcanal and “the Slot”
- Station many submarines in “the Slot” and waters north of Guadalcanal to interdict convoys and enemy warships.
- Keep a carrier group nearby “the Slot”
- Once Submarines locate and engage groups, follow up with air strikes to finish them off (if possible)
- Japanese submarines are of two types…both which carry floatplanes.
- If you spot a floatplane (or get spotted by one), there is likely a submarine nearby.
- Launch anti-submarine air patrols in the area immediately.
- Japan has the uncanny knack of landing troops at bases at night when you can’t cover the area by air.
- Most landings are cargo ships escorted by two destroyers
- Keep a small cruiser force with DD escort around bases you wish to defend. This should be enough to stop the landings.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.