Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

War on the Sea

Erich

Administrator
Dec 5, 2003
I found the Yamato....and she brought her sistership Musashi with her. Headed straight at the Hornet carrier group. I sent in Avengers with torpedos the first waves which decimated and sunk Yamato. Luckily I had B-17s in the area that scored some hits on Musashi lighting her afire. Second wave of Avengers with torpedoes finished Musashi off.
Yikes! Looks awesome! Got them both eh?

How are the updates going for this game so far?

Jester

Dec 21, 2005
Updates are good so far. They just released a beta update for planes to do automated scouting.

I still don't understand the mechanics behind island takeovers. For instance, you have an island and they land X number of troops. You supply a number of reinforcements from another island with your transports...yet you seem to lose the island anyway over time. It never tells you how many troops are on the island. Haven't found anything good on it so far on internet or forums. Maybe I will email the developer.

Another thing I've encountered is finding a sub with aircraft that is near a surface group. You can see the sub on the map but your planes can't attack/spawn an encounter from the map (as the sub is underwater due to nearby ships). This does however, keep the sub underwater and move slower, which allowed my surface force to sail away in this instance.

Honestly, I don't see why they couldn't make this a multi-player game. It would be quite interesting that way.

Erich

Administrator
Dec 5, 2003
Honestly, I don't see why they couldn't make this a multi-player game. It would be quite interesting that way.
I agree. I was looking through their news and didn't see any mention of them pushing it into multiplayer. It's a shame really. We need more games like this to be multiplayer.

Erich

Administrator
Dec 5, 2003
@Jester
How is the campaign going?

Have you seen this game yet?

Crash Dive II Released

Crash Dive II Released

Hunt enemy Japanese convoys, Imperial Japanese battle destroyers, attack land bases, and shoot down aircraft in this long-awaited sequel to “Crash Dive”. Take command of a Gato-class submarine prowling the South Pacific in search of enemy shipping to sink. Sneak past the destroyers and torpedo...

Jester

Dec 21, 2005

I'm continuing to harass any enemy ships I can locate but taking over islands is extremely slow as you only get 1000 troops to land once a week. I haven't found a way to increase this yet and you have to take over multiple islands to get a good base of operations going. I feel like this handicaps you too much. To take over Guadalcanal, you have to have at least 10,000 troops so I hear. And as I tried before, landing 1000 troops and going back to the ONE base that supplies the troops doesn't cut it.

Saw Crash Dive II gameplay videos...seems a bit arcadish to me but I might try it.

Erich

Administrator
Dec 5, 2003
I see. So it gets increasingly difficult as you progress in the campaign.

Yeah it does look kind of "arcade" style but I think it looks fun. I wish they would make it multiplayer and let players play ships/subs and we get an Iron Wolves/Enigma clone.

Jester

Dec 21, 2005
The biggest problem with the game is the "instructions" ... or lack thereof. They could definitely use some more detailed tutorials or guides.

Jester

Dec 21, 2005
The Big "E" has been hit. Not too bad, but enough that some holds were open to the sea along with some other minor damage. She came under relentless air assault which depleted the Wildcats providing air cover. Many of the cruisers ran out of 5" AA shells and were left just with 20/40mm guns. I turned the fleet around and headed to go back to port but waves upon waves came at the group. I was sure there was a carrier group nearby but I was never able to locate it. Eventually, the group made it back to port and the Enterprise was put into drydock for repairs. Turn around time - 7 days. Luckily, I have the Hornet out there to cover the area around Guadalcanal.

Enemy ships seem scarce to be seen. Mostly encountering small 2 ship DD groups running the slot. Recently, I encountered a 6 ship DD fleet running down the slot, presumably to reinforce Guadalcanal. Hornet's Avengers were vectored in loaded with rockets (which are way OP in my opinion). Devastation occurred shortly thereafter for the Japanese, losing 4 out of 6 DDs. The remainder turned tail and headed back.

Hr19axi.jpg

Avengers coming in for the attack

USbRZKY.jpg

Initial rocket strike on lead DDs (both sank)

ABL7Hdq.jpg

The aftermath....two more DDs would burn and flood, eventually sinking.

============
Bug report - Reported to Killerfish games

S4zrGuF.jpg

While exiting the area, my planes flew straight into a mountain and crash. Lost more than half my squadron. :(

Jester

Dec 21, 2005
d7Fhgkh.jpg

I think that was supposed to be RIGHT rudder....

J1d9P7a.jpg

The war continues. The Big E has been repaired and is back in action. Japanese submarines have dropped considerably....not sure when I encountered the last one. All I have been encountering are small DD groups running the slot to try and reinforce Guadalcanal.

I've been building up the Santa Cruz islands (or trying to). With only 1000 troops/week coming into the main base, it makes this harder. I am hoping once I get Santa Cruz built up that I will have 2 supply bases bringing in troops weekly.