The Saint

51UDXnVAMqL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
On Tuesday's I take an adult education class to help develop writting techniques. The class comprises both reading and writting and is designed to assist writers in developing character and scenes. Two weeks ago we looked at 'The Saint' series, and I read 'The Sizzling Saboteur'.

Author Leslie Charteris character Simon Templar, later portrayed by Roger Moore in his pre-Bond days, is an English spy working in the World War 2 era. Templar, in this story, is driving south to Galveston to follow up on the dissappearance of a factory worker from the Saint Louis area. Upon arriving in Galveston, Templar literally "drives over" a body burnt beyond recognition. After reporting the matter to the local hic sheriff, Templar finds himself as a suspect based on his infamous, a nd well publicised past. Over the course of a weekend, when the court house isn't working, The Saint deductively solves the mystery and prevents espionage occurring to the US Nacy.

My sole reason for selecting this story was because I had driven the same terrain whilst visiting Mongoose a few years back. I wanted to compare Charteris writtings against my first hand knowledge. I'll be quite blunt, the pompus dialogue of Templar drives the narrative, but the character portrayal of a snotty British agent working cast against the southern town works well. Inside, the mystery moved along at a good pace, and even though there are clues indicating the result, I missed several indicators during the first read.

Chareteris has a series of Saint adventures in the spy/espionage genre that is set among WW2 locations. This was my first exposure to this character, despite vague recollections from my childhood when 'The Saint' was shown directly after Tony Curtis and Moore in 'The Persuaders' television show.

Last edited by a moderator:

Theta Sigma

Jun 5, 2005
To say I loved the television series would be an understatement....

When I was a kid, it used to be on late at night (re-runs in the 80's-90's), like some other shows. (The Avengers, Secret Agent Man (Dangerman), The Prisoner, Space 1999 etc)

I'd stay up late, and would eagerly anticipate the appearance of a halo over Moore's head, to hear that great theme.

The show wasn't that bad either. ;)

Moore was sooooo much better in this than as 007. He played a more beliveable character, and one he didn't have to take over from someone more successful in the role. Heresy it might be, but he was far better than MacNee or McGoohan in their roles.

Sadly, Ian Ogilvy couldn't fill his shoes (although I liked him in a different way), and....well, that's all really. (Val Kilmer would like to forget that abomination too)

I hope the recent ressurection of a certain UK sci-fi series leads other producers to take a look back and consider this popular series as well. Simon's long overdue for a proper comeback. :)

Last edited by a moderator: