The Great Escape

"I have had the pleasure of meeting several British Officers, but you are the first American. Hilts isn't it."

"Captain Hilts."

"Are all American Officers as rude as you?"

"Yep, pretty much so."

"Perhaps then we can change your behaviour. 10 days isolation Hilts.

"Captain Hilts."

"20 days."

"Right. Oh, you'll still be here when I get back?"

"Cooler."

Let's just put this one out there where it belongs, as perhaps one of the 10 greatest films of all time. The first film to start the 'escape' genre, this one reads like a Hollywood address book with the celebrities in it. Steve McQueen, Richard Attenborough, James Garner, Charles Bronson, James Coburn, David McAllum, Gordon Jackson and Donald Pleasance playing a good guy no less.

Originally, author Paul Brickhill wrote a quasi documentary about the exploits of his unit when he was captured as a POW during WW2. In 1963, director John Sturgess who went on to make The Magnificent Seven, pulled off this masterpiece, most of which was shot on location at a time when films were being made in backyard lots. The film captures WW2 from a new persepctive, outlining the story of how the allied forces used primitive methods to confound and confuse the enemy. In a fitting tribute, the prologue and the epilogue pay homage to "the fifety".

To this day, I don't believe I have ever met anyone who dislikes this film. This is a 'must have' for any collection.

Attachments

• 6304071876.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
    6304071876.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited by a moderator:

AdamWarren

Nov 26, 2004
Yeah, this is one awsome film. I got the collector'd edition, and it gave alot of background info on the film. Great stuuf they did.