Blind Mans Bluff

006103004X.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

"Hey Pioneer, here's a book you might be interested in, it's got some of US submarine activities involed in espionage."

Was I interested? Indeed I was especially when I subsequently found out that my submariner friend had served on one of the vessels mentioned. I can't ask him if he was involved in the story reported, but that doesn't mean that he didn't have his own similar adventure.

Authors Sherry Sontag and Christopher Drew delve into the cold war era of the US Submarine fleet. Starting with Cochino, the book delves into about a dozen different missions, including the repeated failure by the US to steal a sunken Soviet Golf submarine.

Sontag et al don't just deal with accounts from on the submarines themselves, but they also bursh with the Capitol Hill politics of not only hiding the missions themselves, but the 'switch and bait' techniques used by Congress to camoflague the funding issues. What I found interesting, being a new resident of the U.S.A. myself, is to see how the Presidents have taken a massive personal interest, even down to daily reports and selecting missions.

On the Tides "thumbs up" 1-5 sliding scale;
t-up.gif
t-up.gif
t-up.gif
t-up.gif

Last edited by a moderator: